January 19, 2010

Salta, the Spaniard City

On the 4th of January, we were flying to Salta for our road trip. First it started raining and raining and raining… well we were lucky until then as it’s supposed to be the raining season. When we took the taxi to go to the airport, we could hardly see and thought we’ll never leave. We were supposed to leave at 3:15 pm but in the morning we heard the plane was leaving earlier (around 2 pm). So we rushed and finally ended up waiting and waiting and waiting… to leave after 5 pm!

The Province of Salta is situated in the Northwest of Argentina and it borders two countries: Chile ,  and Bolivia. The city of Salta was founded in 1582 and it still bears a distinct Hispanic character that sets it apart from other cities in the country. The skyline is drawn by colonial houses, narrow streets and pavements, and the brownish green of the surrounding hills. At night, we went for diner in the city center and saw the main square (Plaza 9 de Julio), the Cathedral and the old city hall
(the Cabildo). Beautiful! The next day, it was a free day to discover the city. I decided to climb the 1070 stairs to get to the  top of hill where you have a view on the city. Then went for a round around the city, buy some postcards, check internet.

On the 6thof January, it was time to hit the road, direction the Valley of Calchaquies!  For the small story, just when I was on the bus leaving Xela I realized I forgot my driving license! As I was the main driver, hum!! So I called Mynor and asked him to send it with DHL. The package was supposed to be delivered on the 5th at the hostel but it wasn’t. A bit of stress but finally I picked it up at the office on the 6th just before to leave.













It's my place! (born on the 9th July ;))

Yes I climbed them!!!


View from the hill

No comments: